--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > That's my impression too.  The point isn't to absorb
> > the teacher's qualities of *mind* but his/her qualities
> > of *consciousness*.  Moreover, it's the process of
> > surrender itself, I should think, that does most of the
> > "work" of structuring freedom.
>
> This discussion, and Judy's point (everyone's collectively, really)
> brough to mind the passage from the Gita (Gita scholars chime in
> here) where it says (paraphrased) "...better to die in one's own
> dharma than trying to take on the dharma of another..."
>
> I know that this has really had to come into play in my own life,
> realizing that all that I took and and tried to be via my long
> years with the TM org were attempts at living someone elses
> vision of how my life should be lived.

Well said. It's definitely an issue.

One teacher I worked with (and later, here, TomT)
suggested that the keyword when trying to absorb
the good qualities of someone inspiring is
"appreciation." One doesn't try to *emulate* the
behavior, or the modes of thinking, or the belief
system of the person being appreciated. One doesn't
*have* to. The mechanics of mind-modeling are all
in the appreciation.

It doesn't even require "surrender." One does not
have to surrender to the other person to appreciate
their good qualities; it suffices to appreciate
them. That, in my experience, seems to be the key
to allowing them to develop in oneself.