<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:

> Time,

> with
> > > the

> off
> if
> > >
> > > Well, actually, isn't that precisely what the Talmud is...
> > > basically, volume after volume after volume of "legalese" of
the
> > > contract between man and God?
> >
> > Between Jews and God, yes, indeed, that is exactly
> > what it is (the contract itself is what Leviticus
> > is, the book where we find the passage MDixon cites).
> >
> > He needs to brush up on his religious history just
> > a bit, I think.
>
> When I was a student at MIU, I remember browsing through the stacks
> at the MIU library and coming across an English translation of the
> Talmud.
>
> Firstly, there were at least 20 volumes.  Secondly, there were all
> sorts of weird instructions.  Randomly, I picked up a volume and
> there were page upon page upon page on how a carpenter was supposed
> to pick up wood, cut it, etc.  I couldn't believe it!  There were
> instructions and laws and rules on pretty much anything you could
> think of!

Yup.  That's what the Jews agreed to at Mount Sinai:
complete, utter, unquestioning obedience to God in
all things.

If you read some Talmudic discussion, and then read
some of the closely reasoned constitutional opinions
from a U.S. high court, you might be struck by the
stylistic resonances.

It should also be borne in mind that some of the
pickier stuff in the Talmud, while it does apply to
the particular actions in question, also involves
establishing precedent in interpreting the Law that
then becomes the basis for interpreting the Law in
more consequential matters.  There's a lot of
*process* involved, in other words.