on 3/1/06 10:02 AM, jim_flanegin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> on 3/1/06 9:06 AM, authfriend at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>
>>> FWIW, I've never encountered it in TM, to the
>>> contrary.  What I've observed has been a
>>> tendency to be deferential to those who
>>> claimed or were rumored to be enlightened.
>>
>> In certain quarters of Fairfield, especially MUM, people don't
> dare claim
>> enlightenment publicly. Probably due to fears created by the Robin
> Carlson
>> legacy. However, Fred Travis has been quietly studying people, but
> those
>> people wouldn't dare go public.
>>
> Just curious Rick if you would elaborate on "the Robin Carlson
> legacy". Thanks

It's quite a story, and I don't have time to tell it at length, but about 25
years ago Canadian Governor Robin Carlson proclaimed that he was
enlightened, set himself up as a "World Teacher," and attracted a lot of
converts from the movement, especially in Fairfield. This made a lot of
people around here very leery about anyone who proclaims their
enlightenment. The attitude seems to be that "real" enlightenment is a very
lofty goal that ordinary chumps like us are very unlikely to have attained,
and that shouldn't be considered genuine unless Maharishi confirms it, which
he never does, and that if you've got something good going on, you should
keep it to yourself or let Fred Travis study you privately.