> On Mar 1, 2006, at 12:42 PM, jim_flanegin wrote:
>
> > I can certainly see from one POV how a group of awakened
individuals
> > could appear to have some silent codependent agreement with one
> > another, driven by ego satisfaction. And how from this same POV,
> > there is no argument and little criticism within the group
because
> > this would fracture the codependent nature of it.
> >
> > On the other hand, from another POV, I can see the enjoyment of a
> > group of awakened individuals sharing perspectives on a state of
> > ultimate freedom. With no consequences to other observers, one
way
> > or another- no $$ requested, or follow up meetings advertised...
> >
> > Because the same event is observed and experienced differently
> > according to our consciousness, I cannot say that everyone should
> > experience this group of awakened individuals in the same way.
>
> My approach was simple:
>
> -balance my own elements
> -relax into the natural state
> -just let the meeting take place as an event in my awareness.
> -observe what arises in both the meeting and my own awareness.
>
> Later I would just write a few brief comments in my journal.
>

> > However, a couple of key points about this discussion:
> >
> > 1. determination of awakening, or not, of another is something
> > sensed on a feeling level. Proclamations do no good, unless the
> > person is walking the walk so to speak. Unfortunately it seems
that
> > the ones best able to see another's awakening are those who are
> > awake themselves...
>
> I don't know if I would describe it necessarily that way, but as
just
> observing what's there: things arise, hang round and then
subside.
> Later, I could make brief observations--maybe compare/contrast:
what
> was there, what wasn't. what was missing, etc.
>
> Eventually one gets a vague overall sense and later more
concretely
> obvious feeling.
>
> One disconcerting thing that was obvious very soon and persisted
> throughout these sessions was the almost absolute infrequency
with
> which descriptions ever strayed outside of either established TM-
> speak or advaito-speak. It was almost absolutely a closed loop:
no
> freshness or newness. Although it seemed as if newness and
freshness
> could be contrived, it was unconvincing compared to the freshness
of
> the natural state.

Thanks again for your comments. To your point about descriptions of
awakening, and how they appear to focus on one school of thought or
another: From my experience, I sought my awakening through what was
said and taught by the sometimes illustrious Mr. M and had a lot of
experience, initially anyway, within the TMO. So when I describe
experiences, they probably take on that flavor.

Its a tough balancing act for me, anyway, to state things as I am
uniquely experiencing them, and at the same time, describe the
experience generally enough so that people can get what I'm talking
about, and thirdly, not have it be all about me.