--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm sorry, with all due respect I'm going to take great exception
> this answer and to all answers that seem to reduce the
> life/mindset/emotional state of the "awake ones" to these kinds of
pat
> answers.

<snip>

That's kind of like taking exception to the fact that out of six
billion humans on this planet, if they were asked to generally
describe themselves, most would include in their description that
they had two arms and two legs...

Also, keep in mind that Tom is just talking about the *inner* state
of the awakened person. As we have read, heard, quoted and thought
about, at least a zillion times, from the Gita, it says the state of
consciousness of a person can't be determined by their outside
actions.

Yep, still true.

Also, from waking state, or non-awakened state, there is no way to
intellectually `get' this sense of true equanimity that Tom
describes. It can only be understood as mood-making from waking
state. The mind is not permanently satisfied if we are not Awake.
Therefore the only way it understands equanimity is to assume a
false state of evenness, because it isn't settled. The mind in
Unawake state is still at odds with itself.

So Tom isn't talking about external actions or fake evenness, he's
just stating the obvious about being Awake. Nothing more than ever
changing perfect coordination between the person and their ever
changing environment.

> Personally, I think there are as many forms of enlightenment as
there
> are people, I think that people still get angry, hungrly, lonely,
> tired, irritable, sick, and that they act just as spontaneously as
> anyone/everyone else

Yep, diversity continues, with no attempt at stopping it,
categorizing it, slowing it down or thinking about it too much.

 and that all this constant intellectualizing is a
> form of severe mental masturbation.
>
> What ever happened to meditate and act?

I give up, what?