On Mar 8, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Patrick Gillam wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <jpgillam@>

wrote:

<snip>

The arts are an especially rich source of sweet suffering. Or

maybe I'm listening to too much opera, and seeing too

many heavy movies. But artists seem to revel in mixing beauty

and pain. I figured that was not just an artist's trick, but

a reflection of life.

Something I've always wondered about: What happens to

art in a (hypothetical) Age of Enlightenment?

Can you take pain and suffering and struggle out of

the mixture and have art just be about joy?

I had an artist friend from my MIU days who insisted

that artists should only bring light, yeah. I don't know

what her position might be these days. Someone in

Fairfield could ask her, maybe. Pam Lipman is her name.

Enlightened Art?