> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <jpgillam@>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > The arts are an especially rich source of sweet suffering. Or
> > maybe I'm listening to too much opera, and seeing too
> > many heavy movies. But artists seem to revel in mixing beauty
> > and pain. I figured that was not just an artist's trick, but
> > a reflection of life.
>
> Something I've always wondered about: What happens to
> art in a (hypothetical) Age of Enlightenment?
>
> Can you take pain and suffering and struggle out of
> the mixture and have art just be about joy?

I just uploaded 4 of my pieces, done over the last 25 years, into
the Photos section under miscellaneous. Other than the mandala,
which is colored pencil and metallic ink on paper, the others are
montages from photos of carved and colored wood pieces, ranging in
size from about a foot square to about 3.5 feet by 10 inches. Art
reflects the pysche and interest of the artist.