--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dean Goodman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> SELF-DOUBT AND CYNICISM VS. PROFOUND TRUST
>  From a Talk by Adyashanti
>
> "There is nothing more insidiously destructive to the attainment of
> liberation than self-doubt and cynicism.  Doubt is a movement of the
> conditioned mind that always claims that "it's not possible ... that
> freedom is not possible for me [or for you - or at least it is very
> very difficult, very distant]."  Doubt always knows; it "knows" that
> nothing is possible.  And in this knowing, doubt robs you of the pos-
> sibility of anything truly new or transformative from happening.  Fur-
> thermore, doubt is always accompanied by a pervasive cynicism that
> unconsciously puts a negative spin on whatever it touches.  Cynicism
> is a world view which protects the ego from scrutiny by maintaining
> a negative stance in relationship to what it does not know, does not
> want to know, or cannot know.  Many spiritual seekers have no idea
> how cynical and doubt-laden they actually are.  It is this blindness
> and denial of the presence of doubt and cynicism that makes the birth
> of a profound trust impossible - a trust without which final libera-
> tion will always remain simply a dream." - Adyashanti

****
A complementary perspective to Adhyasanti's view:

For evolving to higher stages of consciousness, more destructive than
self-doubt and cynicism, is an unquestioning mind with no capacity to
inner inquiry and dialogue. Whatever grandiose idea of oneself appears
is taken to be the absolute truth, doubts are immediately suppressed,
if they ever appear.
Doubts and cynicism can be quite destructive. However I see even that
kind of tormenting doubt as one of the first steps into an acquisition
of capacity to inner dialogue. Denial of the presence of doubt leads
to suppression. Working with doubts canlead to a transformation, where
doubt becomes a constructive inner voice and opener to inner inquiry.

A person who suppresses doubt has an internal structure that could be
called fundamentalism. A person who has no doubts is  even below that
developmentally. Being beyond fundamentalism means capacity to handle
doubts and also difficult emotions in an constructive way.

In my teens I remember myself spending long ours almost daily in an
inner dialogue. An idea came to my mind. Soon after that appeared an
opposing idea that doubted or disapproved with the first idea.
I calmly just witnessed this discussion and dialogue inside and it
gradually got more and more subtle, and dealt with many important
existential questions.  I still remember one pearl that was created
through these dialogues: "If there is God, and he is the embodiment of
Truth, he can only expect from me that I do what I understand to be
true and right. Even if that meant the denial of God." And it actually
meant it for me then. I think this insight appeared at 14. I also
claim that it was this kind of inner dialogue that lead to the
powerful experience of realization I had at age 16, that I have
described more in details many times here at FFL

Irmeli