--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My dictionary translates homage to mean respect, reverence, and not
> surrender. And I understand the quotation in a way that also the
> teacher should show homage to the student, give his advice after
> repeated inquiry, and do service to others.
>
> Through wrongly understood devotion many difficult questions and
> doubts can get suppressed and the inner process becomes partial or
> distorted. Experience shows that the suppressed issues tend to get
> acted out elsewhere in a less constructive ways in the student's
> and teacher's lives. And I think the teacher should be tested,
> or at least his behavior, and the structure of his organization
> observed very accurately.

Just as an observation, the only teachers I have ever
met who reacted negatively to being "tested" by their
students were IMO afraid that they would flunk the test.

This includes high Tibetan lamas and recognized tulkus
who had *no problem* with their students or drop-in
visitors questioning *anything* they said or taught.
In contrast to those who *do* react negatively to
having their expertise or authority questioned, these
guys seemed to *delight* in the "testing." The tougher
the questions, the more they seemed to like it. Go
figure.