> On Mar 12, 2006, at 6:52 PM, authfriend wrote:
> >

> > > they're simply people responding to the post reagrding some
style
> > > of mindfullness or some simple adjustment that
prevented "laxity"
> > > or sleep during meditation. It's an important problem--even in
the
> > > dome in FF--so people responded affirming that. But all the
people
> > > who responded *had* a problem *and solved it on their own*.
Nothing
> > > in checking or the TMO provided an answer for them.
> >
> > The *content* of a communication isn't what makes
> > it privileged, so this is a non sequitur.
>
> Actually Rick did observe, on-list, his own interactions with
> Mahesh, and M's response/advice reading these issues. These
> consitituted not only online communication,

MMY's using email now?

 but specific advice on TM and forms of
> mindfulness training--how to maintain focus without falling into
> torpor or laxity. This is an extremely important fine-point
> because not only to we have a record of them occurring, but we also
> can observe that checking instructions were not modified to include
> these suggestions, nor were instructional advice in the initial
> technique.

Obviously I can't comment on any of this without knowing
what was actually said.  (But just out of curiosity, what
is the antecedent of "them"?)

> > But to address this on its own terms:
> >
> > Since the checking notes explicitly say that sleep
> > during meditation is *not* a problem, no wonder they
> > didn't find a "solution" in checking.  That sleep is
> > not a problem *is* the answer as far as checking is
> > concerned.
> >
> > It appears that the only "problem" they had in this
> > case was that they were incorrectly viewing sleep
> > *as a problem*.
> >
> > As to "laxity," the only "laxity" I'm aware of in the
> > TM context is not bothering to return to the mantra
> > once you become aware you're off it.  So the "problem"
> > there is simply not following the instructions for
> > meditation.
> >
> > Or did you have some other sense of "laxity" in mind?
>
> But for others obviously it was

Obviously it was *what*?

> --and they received advice as to how to transform that laxity.
>

> >  <snip>
> > >
> > > But that is the question that's been answered already.
Therefore I
> > > have no need to lament or rehash.
> >
> > Well, no, of course it hasn't been answered.  One
> > quote of MMY quoting something from the Veda, without
> > any context, does not constitute an answer to the
> > question of whether TM is effortless.
>
> Maybe not for you. See my most recent post on this very topic.

Yes, I saw it.  I'll have another look, but my initial
reading suggested it was not written to be understood
or to actually communicate.

<snip>
> > But "transcending" is used in another sense in TM, i.e.,
> > the attention moving to more subtle levels of thought.
> > Just closing the eyes--even if one has not sat down to
> > meditate--results in transcending in this sense.
>
> That's a very gross redefinition

Well, no, actually using it to mean having the
experience of transcendental consciousness is
the redefinition.

--particuarly if you look at what
> this means in regards to the root texts from which this meditative
> tradition comes.

Which is unnecessary, of course, in the TM context.
What we need to know is what MMY means by the terms.

Nevertheless, there *is* confusion in the TM context
over the two meanings of "transcend," which can indeed
be problematic.

> IMO a lot of problems issue from the fact that while
> M. often posits his View from the POV of Advaita Vedanta (albeit a
> reworked version of Advaita Vedanta) his method and path are from
> the dualistic Yoga-darshana. That disconnect between View (non-
> dual, Advaita Vedanta ) and Path (dualistic yoga) is bound to
> cause problems, particularly if you are not aware of the inherent
> disconnect in Path NOT corresponding to View (darshana).

Unless you understand that from MMY's POV, there is
ultimately no disconnect.

But we're getting off the topic, aren't we?

Never mind.  I had hoped you were going to actually
*respond* to what I wrote.  Too bad.