> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <sparaig@>

> > effortlessness.
> > >
> > > <grin>
> >
> > I was serious Judy.
>
> I know you were.  I was appreciating the comment.
>
> > Perhaps TM is always effortless for you in the
> > way that you have described, but you presented it as somehow
> > *superior* to someone who doesn't have that experience.
>
> Depends what you mean by "superior."  All I'm saying
> is that this is what TM *is*.  I don't give myself
> any credit for having this experience.

By contrast, you implied superiority: you said anyone who didn't have
that experience hadn't gotten the knack of TM.

> I just think that claiming that TM inherently involves
> effort is a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who buy
> into it.  I'm using my own experience to argue against
> this claim because it's the only experience about which
> I can speak with any authority.

My own take is that MMY struck the balance he intended to strike
between expectations of effort and non-effort. If you believe
that "real" TM is always effortless, you are lead into one trap. If
you believe that "real" TM always involves at least some subtle
effort, you're lead into another.

> > That's a subtle expectation, right there.
>
> Ooh, I dunno, not during meditation itself, it
> isn't.  Effortlessness in the TM sense *can't* be
> an expectation, it can only be an experience (or,
> as you often point out about transcendence, the
> *absence* of experience: there's no "there" there).

Meditation isn't a light-switch, in my experience. You don't start
meditating and somehow leave all expecations behind (unless you do
the big-T transcend immediately for the full 20 minutes). Your
expectations about TM outside TM practice certainly influence what
goes on *during* TM practice.