on 3/14/06 10:51 AM, feste37 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It's the same way of thinking, though. The idea that "we" know more than
> "they" do about what's good for them. If you talk to people on campus about
> why they are there, you will get almost as many answers as there are people.
> Everyone has their own reasons. Instead of talking about people needing to
> be "liberated" and "shaken up," wouldn't it be more mature to simply honor the
> decision that MUM folks have made about how they want to live and what
> they want to devote themselves to?

I'm just speaking from my experience. I was full time in the TMO for 25
years, the last several of them on campus. We were afraid to leave. We
didn't know how we would support ourselves. I think many on campus are in
this boat. We felt liberated after we left. Maybe others would. Maybe some
wouldn't. That's all I was saying. I'd rather see MUM flourish than fail,
but I don't think that's going to happen unless some fundamental changes
occur.