< snip >
> > Just my two centimes...I'm just trying to suggest
> > that there is room for people to believe different
> > things about meditation and how it works. Chances
> > are that *none* of them are correct. Acting as if
> > one is correct and all others are incorrect seems
> > to me a great way to develop a lot of negative
> > karma, not to evolve.
>
> Whatever. We were talking about the ole "Transcendental
> Meditation as taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi." Vaj and
> you both indicate that you have not only different beliefs
> about what makes TM work, but different beliefs about
> what TM *IS* in the first place.

And?

> Which goes back to MY point that any "theory" that
> attempts to explain TM must preserve the anything
> goes/effortlessness nature of the technique, or
> it morphs into something else.

No, it doesn't. One could still be practicing TM
*exactly* as taught and believe what Vaj and I
believe. You are confusing theory with practice,
and the dogma one believes in with the actuality
of the practice one believes it *about*. I could
believe what I believe and still practice TM
exactly as it was taught to me; if you can't,
that's your problem, not mine.

> > > As I pointed
> > > out, a perfectly valid TM session could involve thinking
> > > the mantra once and being distracted by internal/external
> > > phenomena for the next 20 minutes.
> > >
> > > You seemed to believe thatthat could NOT be a valid meditation
> > > session, or so your "good luck with that" response suggests.
> >
> > I don't think Vaj ever suggested that sitting lost in
> > thought wasn't "valid." As I read what he said, he's
> > suggesting that IN HIS OPINION it isn't particularly
> > *effective*. I would agree. That doesn't mean that we
> > didn't understand or "get" the TM dogma that surrounds
> > this issue, merely that we don't buy it.
>
> Fair enough, but *I* buyit becuase it DOES seem to work quite
> effectively for little ole ADHD me.

And that's just FINE, dude. I have never said any
differently. I'm not trying to SELL you my theory.
It's MINE. It doesn't affect you in any way, unless
you allow it to.

> > There's a difference. Believing in a different theory
> > doesn't mean that the other person is flawed, or that
> > they didn't hear and understand the same things you
> > did when you were listening to the TM teachers who
> > were parroting what they were told to say. It just
> > means that the other person has chosen not to take
> > what they were told as some kind of cosmic truth, the
> > *only* way that things could be described. Vaj is
> > expressing an opinion; he's entitled to that opinion.
> > And *his* opinion has no effect whatsoever on you
> > or your own opinions unless you allow it to.
>
> Sure, whatever, but once you start assigning value
> judgements to one particular experience over another,
> you're no longer practicing TM.

NOT NECESSARILY. Vaj, as far as I know, DOES NOT
PRACTICE TM. Neither do I. What we believe about
meditation and what makes a meditation session
effective doesn't affect TM in the slightest.

Are you trying to say that your mind is so weak
that if someone *else* suggests a different way
of looking at meditation and how it works, that
is going to affect how *you* meditate?  :-)

It's THEORY, dude, and furthermore a theory pro-
posed by two people who do *not* practice TM and
probably never will again. We are not trying to
SELL you our theory or "convert" you to believing
in it. It's just FINE for you to believe what you
believe today. You are reacting as if by even
mentioning our theories we are putting the
sanctity and purity of *your* meditation in
some kind of jeapardy.

Your position seems to be based on the idea that
different theories of how meditation works might
have "cooties" and somehow "infect" those who
hear them and render them incapable of practicing
their meditation the way they were originally
taught to. Has anything you've ever heard here
or on a.m.t. ever affected how you choose to
practice TM? If not, then I rest my case.
Lighten up.