> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote:
<snip>
> > > For the record, my experience is that the realization
> > > that I was off on a thought is enough to evoke the mantra;
> > > there's no intervening intention to think it.
> >
> > My own belief is that this is ALWAYS the case, but we may not be
> > aware of it, at least at first, due to our inexperience with
> > subtler states of the thinking process.
>
> That's *exactly* what I think.

To elaborate a bit: I don't think one ever "receives"
a mantra (at least a bija mantra of the kind TM uses).
I think the bija mantras are something like resonant
frequencies of the "sound" of paying attention (or the
"process of observation"), which are always present on
subtle levels of the mind; and that one's attention is
called to one of these frequencies on the gross level
of speech by the teacher when one is initiated.

To put one's attention on the mantra is thus, in effect,
to pay attention *to the paying of attention*.  Or to
put it another way, one is observing the process of
observation itself; the process of observation becomes
the object of observation.