> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
> <Irmeli.Mattsson@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > P.S.When I read your posts I have quite often got the impression
> > that you excersice hairsplitting to divert attention away from the
> > main theme or the main problem the poster is successfully
> > presenting. When you cannot disprove the claims of the poster, you
> > start hairsplitting with unessential details. This happens possibly
> > because you have a preset agenda to defend, not because you
> > wouldn't understand. You cannot allow any bigger cracks to your
> aim,
> > just small ones so you can keep people perceiving you with some
> > credibility. You do understand, but you are not in a position to be
> > able to freely look at phenomenon and investigate ideas and claims
> > with an open mind, which could lead to conclusions not fitting to
> > your preset goal.
>
> P.S.: Irmeli, you might want to think about why you
> felt the need to launch an ad hominem attack at me
> when my responses to you contained no ad hominem at
> all.

****
I have not the slightest idea what "ad hominem" means. I checked my
dictionary of foreign words and the closest item there was "ad
honorem", but I suppose you don't mean it.

Why you got the rant was because I felt you were resorting to
hair-splitting with my post to divert attention away from the
essentials of my criticism. The sentence you picked up form MMY:s talk
was not in line with the spirit of the talk for caste system in general.
Did you really read my first comment on the talk? I state my claim in
different words, maybe you will better get it.

In the talk MMY's claims that castes are unavoidable because it is how
nature works. Nobody can make or unmake caste system.
Mango is one caste. Apple is one caste. You cannot unmake caste
system, similarly as you cannot unmake different fruits to appear.

He makes many wrong simplifications and generalizations in the talk.
And that leads him to the wrong conclusion, that caste system is as
inevitable as it is inevitable that mangos and apples are different
fruit. But caste system can be unmade and it will when the society in
India evolves.

Wrong categorizing leads him to wrong conclusions. Categorizing and
grouping can be made of course in many ways, but certain rules must be
obeyed just as in mathematics. People's intelligence is often tested
by asking them to place items in alternative groups. Only one is correct.

I also criticized you because I have generally got quite weary of your
hair-splitting responds to many other posters here. This has lead to
the situation that I don't read your posts. You are intelligent and
have a lot of deep understanding and insight. Without hair-splitting
you could do much better.

Irmeli