--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
> > <Irmeli.Mattsson@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > P.S.When I read your posts I have quite often got the
impression
> > > that you excersice hairsplitting to divert attention away from
the
> > > main theme or the main problem the poster is successfully
> > > presenting. When you cannot disprove the claims of the poster,
you
> > > start hairsplitting with unessential details. This happens
possibly
> > > because you have a preset agenda to defend, not because you
> > > wouldn't understand. You cannot allow any bigger cracks to your
> > aim,
> > > just small ones so you can keep people perceiving you with some
> > > credibility. You do understand, but you are not in a position
to be
> > > able to freely look at phenomenon and investigate ideas and
claims
> > > with an open mind, which could lead to conclusions not fitting
> > > your preset goal.
> >
> > P.S.: Irmeli, you might want to think about why you
> > felt the need to launch an ad hominem attack at me
> > when my responses to you contained no ad hominem at
> > all.
> >
> ****
> I have not the slightest idea what "ad hominem" means. I checked my
> dictionary of foreign words and the closest item there was "ad
> honorem", but I suppose you don't mean it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

See in particular under the headings "Ad Hominem
Abusive" and "Ad Hominem Circumstantial."

> Why you got the rant was because I felt you were resorting to
> hair-splitting with my post to divert attention away from the
> essentials of my criticism.

Yes, you said that already.  And I responded that I
thought you were resorting to ad hominem to divert
attention away from the fact that your criticism
didn't hold up when its premises were examined.

That you've chosen to reply *only* to my P.S. rather
than the post in which I continued to address those
premises suggests that my conjecture was right on
target.

> The sentence you picked up form MMY:s talk
> was not in line with the spirit of the talk for caste system in
> general.

Yes, you said that already.  And I pointed out that
I cited that sentence *because* it was not in line
with your *assumptions* about the spirit of the rest
of what he had said.  I suggested that this one
sentence *might* throw a different light on what he
said.

> Did you really read my first comment on the talk? I state my claim
> in different words, maybe you will better get it.

No, Irmeli, I got it the first time  Perhaps you
didn't really read my replies, because I directly
addressed your points.

I'm not going to repeat what I said, since you apparently
weren't able to respond to my most recent reply in
our exchange.

<snip>
> I also criticized you because I have generally got quite weary of
> your hair-splitting responds to many other posters here. This has
> lead to the situation that I don't read your posts. You are
> intelligent and have a lot of deep understanding and insight.
> Without hair-splitting you could do much better.

Again, I'd suggest that what you're calling "hair-
splitting" is in fact analysis of the facts, premises,
assumptions, and logic of a particular conclusion.  If
these are not sound, the conclusion itself has no merit.

It appears that you prefer to deal only with the
conclusions without worrying about whether what
the conclusions are based on has any validity.