<snip>
> There was a fascinating show on TV the other day (20/20?  I forget
> which one...) and, apparently, research conclusively shows that if
> you are male, the more older brothers you have, the greater the
> probability that you will be gay.
>
> One of the theories given for this on the show is (and I hope I am
> representing this correctly) is that the XY chromosome which is
> what distinguishes a male from a female (women are XX) is
> a "foreign" substance to a woman when she is carrying a male child
> in her womb.

> As a result, her body secretes a kind of "antibody" to counter-act
> this foreign substance each time she carries a male child and, over
> time, this builds up.  And this antibody will diminish
> the "maleness" of the XY and increase the feminine qualities of the
> male child.

I'm a bit skeptical of this as stated, depending on
what is meant by "feminine qualities."  Sounds as
though this theory is based on a stereotype of gay
men.  Many of them aren't the least bit "feminine"
except in that they find other men more sexually
attractive than they do women.

How would you measure scientifically the degree of
"feminine qualities" in a male?  If it's just a matter
of outward appearance and how well it conforms to
social notions of what is masculine and what is
feminine, a lot of gay men wouldn't fit the theory
at all.

And how would you account for lesbians, among whom
there is also a range from masculine-appearing to
feminine-appearing?