> > An elitist superstition codified
> > is no less of an elitist superstition.
>
> Note that he justifies his own non-Shankaracharya-hood
> based on the Jyotish chart...

I don't think I get your point, if you had one.

Seems to me that to claim that caste is based
on one's Jyotish chart (it's not...it's based
on the caste of the birth parents) is a way to
claim that one is *eligible* for a position open
only to Brahmans simply because one can find an
astrologer willing to say that the person is a
"Brahman based on his chart."

But all of this is just silly TB stuff. Who on
earth really *gives a shit* whether Maharishi
could have become Shankaracharya, other than a
few TBs who would *like* to believe such fictions
because the fantasy makes them feel more important?

To me the most fascinating thing is that the people
who do this -- the ones who try to construct some
fantasy world in which Maharishi could have or
should have been Shankaracharya -- are probably
considered by Maharishi *himself* to be lower than
Shudras because they're not even Indian.  :-)