> My knowledge of grammar is almost completely by ear

Same here. My mom had excellent grammar, and I picked it
up from her. As a result, I never learned the rules. I could
talk good without them.

I would say "Neither Barry nor I are going to agree
to that," or "neither Barry nor I am inclined to agree."

To me, neither/nor is treated like either/or, and
verbs after "or" take the case of the closest noun,
or whatever you call it. (Dave Barry's Mr. Language
Person might call it a Nominative Predilection.)