--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> >

> > In a message dated 4/14/06 1:58:33 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> > jflanegi@ writes:
> >
> > Then  after the Iranian revolution, we cozied up to Saddam and
gave
> > him whatever  he wanted militarily, including poison gas, to use
> > against Iran.
> >

> > Please, go into  detail on this. I like the whatever he  wanted
> militarily,
> > including poison gas part  best.
> >

> Yes, I'd like to hear that one too!

I've excerpted the info below from a George Washigton University
website. The source material comes from declassified NSA documents.

Although there is no direct evidence of the USA providing Iraq with
chemical agents to use against Iran, we appear to be pretty friendly
about it, or at best, talking out of both sides of our mouth.

From: http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

Shaking Hands with Saddam Hussein:
The U.S. Tilts toward Iraq, 1980-1984

National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book No. 82

Edited by Joyce Battle

February 25, 2003

9/22/80 Iraq invades Iran.

1983-The White House and State Department pressured the Export-
Import Bank to provide Iraq with financing, to enhance its credit
standing and enable it to obtain loans from other international
financial institutions.

12/83 Rumsfeld as US special envoy visits Saddam in Baghdad.

The U.S. restored formal relations with Iraq in November 1984, but
the U.S. had begun, several years earlier, to provide it with
intelligence and military support (in secret and contrary to this
country's official neutrality) in accordance with policy directives
from President Ronald Reagan. These were prepared pursuant to his
March 1982 National Security Study Memorandum (NSSM 4-82) asking for
a review of U.S. policy toward the Middle East.

Although official U.S. policy still barred the export of U.S.
military equipment to Iraq, some was evidently provided on a "don't
ask - don't tell" basis. In April 1984, the Baghdad interests
section asked to be kept apprised of Bell Helicopter Textron's
negotiations to sell helicopters to Iraq, which were not to be "in
any way configured for military use". The purchaser was the Iraqi
Ministry of Defense. In December 1982, Bell Textron's Italian
subsidiary had informed the U.S. embassy in Rome that it turned down
a request from Iraq to militarize recently purchased Hughes
helicopters. An allied government, South Korea, informed the State
Department that it had received a similar request in June 1983 (when
a congressional aide asked in March 1983 whether heavy trucks
recently sold to Iraq were intended for military purposes, a State
Department official replied "we presumed that this was Iraq's
intention, and had not asked.")

Iran had submitted a draft resolution asking the U.N. to condemn
Iraq's chemical weapons use. The U.S. delegate to the U.N. was
instructed to lobby friendly delegations in order to obtain a
general motion of "no decision" on the resolution. If this was not
achievable, the U.S. delegate was to abstain on the issue. Iraq's
ambassador met with the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., Jeane
Kirkpatrick, and asked for "restraint" in responding to the issue -
as did the representatives of both France and Britain.

1988- Ceasefire signed between Iraq and Iran.