--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_couscous_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snip>

> > > Well South Park -- from what I have seen of it, pretty much
demans
> > > everyone -- does not show a positive side when doing so --  and
is
> > > hilarious.
> >
> > I don't watch "South Park," but I don't have any
> > argument with your thesis that if a comedy demeans
> > *everybody*, it's not bigoted.  But that is a different
> > point than the one I was making.
>
> Well as I understood you, you made a distinction between a comedian
> or forum that pokes barbs at everyone (all agreed its ok) and when
> such becomes demeaning of a particular groups -- even its all groups
> (overtime). I was responding to the demeaing part of your arguemnt.

No, I never said that, sorry.  To the contrary, I
said I couldn't recall The Onion ever having demeaned
Jews as a group or blacks as a group or Muslims as a
group.  You said you thought you recalled pieces along
those lines but couldn't come up with any and brought
forth a list of sitcoms and movies instead.

Then I said (above) written satirical pieces and sitcoms/
movies are in different categories--and then you cited
"South Park," which was a non sequitur as far as I can
tell.

> > > I think its pretty clear (to me) that if you tried your hand at
> > > writing comedy, it would be political correct, inoffensive, and
> > > not funny.
> >
> > I don't think I ever claimed to be a comedy writer,
> > actually.  But if a good comedy writer attempted what
> > I suggested, I suspect the result could very well be
> > inoffensive but quite funny (maybe not politically
> > correct--that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

> > > My take on the two lines you found offensive in the piece are
> > > different from yours. Why you don't find the satire (I didn't
> > > say high satire) in the piece -- ridiculing stereotypes -- by
> > > making such extreme and silly, is a bit mystifying.
> >
> > Where exactly did I say I didn't find the satire
> > in the piece?  I said to the contrary several times.
> > I laughed out loud at the burlap bag bit.
>
> OK. But now Iam getting confused on your point.
>
> > I can't see where you actually addressed the points I
> > made regarding those two lines and why they stuck out
> > from the rest of the piece.
>
> As above, I thought you were saying that when a particular group is
> demeaned its inappropriate. I countered (over several posts) that
> while I agree that if the demeaining is limited to a particular
> group -- for example, good ol' boys in the south in the 50's, 60's
> with racial jokes, or the boys club in corp america in 70's-90's
> with women jokes, then thats a social stratifying power thing. But
> if the "demeaning" is broad-based its fair game.

This is now so utterly confused and far from my
original point that it's not worth trying to
straighten out.

> >Instead you set up a couple
> > of straw men to knock down.
>
> Not on purpose. I have tried to address your points as I understood
> them.

You didn't address any of them.  And you came up with
yet another straw man above.

Finis.  If you aren't going to debate in good faith,
forget it.