--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <fairfieldlife@>
> wrote:
> >
> > on 4/17/06 1:27 AM, TurquoiseB at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > I stand by my original point -- ANYONE who can justify
> > > *forcing* people to follow his or her spiritual beliefs,
> > > for *ANY* reason, has crossed a boundary from inspired
> > > believer into the realm of dangerous fanatic.  Maharishi
> > > crossed that boundary many years ago.
> >
> > I missed the post about the Catholic Church forcing people to
attend
> mass,
> > and about the comparison with the TMO, if that was made, but
> Maharishi did
> > used to "joke" about forcing people to meditate. I think it was
> during the
> > Wilshire-Ebell lectures in LA back in 1968 or so in which he
talked
> about
> > meditation police who would apprehend people on the street who
appeared
> > unhappy. Also, his courting of dictators implies something of
this
> nature.
> > He obviously wanted the dictators to get all their people to
> meditate. He
> > must have considered how they would go about doing this.
>

> At the giant Vedic Science course in the Indian Express Building in
> New Delhi, India, very early 80s, during a lecture one afternoon,
> someone asked Maharishi somewhere in the course of a discussion
about
> governments around the globe: "Well, what would be the best form of
> government?" He responded: "Enlightened dictatorship, but this is a
> controversial topic so we won't talk about it."
>
> Anyone else remember that?

What MMY and the TMO holds up as a guide to the ideal form of
administration is The Ramayana, which recounts how Lord Rama ruled
at Ayodha for ~11,000 years some two million years ago. Lord Rama
was certainly enlightened and had total authority, but he was no
brutal and indifferent dictator -- He listened carefully to the
people and took extraordinary steps to made sure that all concerns
were addressed and everybody in the kingdom was happy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rama