<salsunshine@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > And they all lived happily ever after.
> >
> > yeah-- very difficult to promote ideals during kali yuga
> > because it is so hard to sustain them. we keep trying though.
>
> Just as a question, how many people believe that Sat
> Yuga ever existed?
>
> As far as I can tell, Sat Yuga is a myth/fairytale
> told to children, who theoretically are the only
> ones who should believe in it. I've never seen any
> historical or anthropological evidence that such a
> time ever existed, or that life in India has *ever*
> been that much different than the way it is now.
>
> So those of you who *do* believe in the Hindu idea
> about this previous (and hopefully future) "golden
> age," could you explain to me *why* you believe this
> is true?  Is it purely because it's mentioned in Hindu
> scriptures, and that you take these scriptures literally?
>
> This is not just Hindu-bashing, BTW. I feel the same
> way about people who go on and on about Atlantis and Mu
> without a shred of proof that either civilization ever
> existed. There are some smart people here, and some
> of them obviously believe strongly in this model of
> different Yugas, and that there *was* such a golden
> age in the past, even if there is no record of such
> an age scientifically.  I'm curious as to the reasons
> *why* they believe this.  Thanks in advance...

****************

Assigning credibility to the Vedic texts is easy for people who have
experienced the expansion of awareness through the centerpiece of
those texts, TM -- if the Vedic tradition can deliver on infinity,
then stories of epochs in which the people live at high levels of
consciousness are not a big reach. Really, the stories of the
Puranas and other Vedic literature about life in differnet epochs
are not so important compared to the possibility of practicing TM
and living unlimited awareness, but it's easy to extrapolate
confidence in all the stories of the Vedic literature when the big
story, gaining infinite awareness, can be verified by anybody
through TM.

For those who do not understand that one can restore full awareness
to their experience of life, then it's obvious that those people can
assign no such credibility  to the Vedic literature.

There would likely be no anthropological or historical (other than
the extensive Vedic literature, Puranas especially) record of the
Sat Yuga, since it was more than two million years ago that it
ended. The only record that there is of the Sat Yuga is the Vedic
literature, so if you don't buy that, you're S.O.L.

Anthropologists keep pushing back the timeline for modern humans:

http://newsfromrussia.com/science/2005/02/17/58303.html

Only about one out of a billion human or animal remains survives as
a fossil for more than a million years, so it's difficult to prove
when modern humans actually began. I'll take the word of the Vedic
texts on the age of humans, for the reason stated above.

Just a few years ago, the age of the universe was low-balled, only
two billions year old as late as 1947:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/cutting/ageuniv.htm

I expect that some day scientists will be giving statements about
human history that are consonant with what is said in the Vedic lit.