>From: "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Sat Yuga Fairy Tale? was: Forcing people to
>meditate, wa
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:26:54 -0000
>
>---Richard wrote:
> >
> > we are the only animal that knows that it will die.
>
>I'm not so sure about this. I seem to recall that gorillas
>who've learned sign language have talked about the
>end of life. Maybe it was Koko who talked about this.
>With her limited vocabulary she gave it a somewhat
>simplistic, poetic description, something like "going
>to the place of sleep."

That's really interesting, but wouldn't sign language be their first brush
with abstract thought and thus first way of thinking about death?

Or maybe they do know all about it and are totally at peace with the idea,
who knows?

One swift look around the internet later, and it would seem that Koko did
talk about death, no details here but I shall keep looking.
.
http://dragon.zoo.utoronto.ca/~x19919/mylinkspage.htm