--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > Apparently the LSD researchers who had to abort their
> > research when LSD became illegal thought they were on
> > the verge of major breakthroughs in treating mental
> > illness.
>
> The thing I like most about the hippy/LSD revolution is that it was
> all started by the CIA looking for a truth drug, they performed
> experiments on volunteers, one of whom was Ken Kesey author of "one
> flew over the cuckoos nest". He loved it and after reading
> "stranger in a strange land" by Heinlien he started a really wild
> commune and toured america on a old bus giving out LSD to all and
> sundry, the rest is history. Just wish I'd been there.

Terrific AP story about the bus and its adventures:

http://tinyurl.com/mbybd

Has a great photo of Kesey with the bus, overgrown
with moss after he'd towed it into a swamp when he
finally retired it.  His son wants to restore it and
send it out again, but I think I agree with Kesey's
widow that it ought to stay where it is, "becoming
part of the swamp," as she puts it.

> > Besides reminding me of witnessing experiences, what she
> > describes also reminded me very much of what it's like
> > to be under laughing gas at the dentist.
>
> I know you're going to laugh, considering my last post, but I've
> only been to the dentist twice in the last twenty years

I guess you must do a pretty good job with the
monkey wrench, then...

and have
> never had gas. Sounds like I'm missing out though.

It's an interesting experience.  It would be a lot more
fun in a non-dentist setting, though.