--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ashelkent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > That's the normal way it works, anyway.  If the
> > book is being self-published, the schedule could
> > be shorter depending on how much of the work the
> > author is doing him/herself.  Possibly this is being
> > self-published in digital format for download, in
> > which case there's no need for printing, obviously.
>
> I am working with an on demand self-publishing system at lulu.com.
> You upload the final layout in Word along with JPGs for the cover.
> A trade paperback can be ordered within minutes. I am currently
> going over the proofread version. As soon as I am done and
> upload it, the paperback or PDF will be available. On demand
> printing is more expensive but requires less upfront expense. If a
> book starts to sell well one can alway change to traditional
> printing. Isn't technology amazing?

You bet it is, and good for you for taking advantage
of it and following through.  It's a lot of work.

I'd be interested to hear whether you're satisfied
with the final product (i.e., with what lulu.com does
for you).  I'm a freelance editor, and sometimes my
writer clients want to explore self-publishing options,
so it would be nice to have a company to recommend (or
warn folks away from, depending!).

I very much enjoyed reading the first 11 chapters on
your Web site (which I was able to access the second
time I tried).  I do have one suggestion, though: make
the margins wider so the lines of type aren't so long.
I found myself getting crosseyed after the first few
paragraphs!

Otherwise, very nicely done.  Congratulations!  I
hope you have a lot of success with the book.