<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  "I think we may be saying something roughly similar,
> except that I don't know whether you put much stock
> in intuition."
>
> I definitely do, although I may or may not have more limits on how far
> that can go.  In the field of psychology and human behavior, intuition
> seems to be a critical tool.  I don't believe that they intuit the
> future exactly,  but I'll bet they can detect trends in behavior that
> have a good chance of leading somewhere predictable.  If a person goes
> to bed drunk with a gun under their pillow every night, and is in an
> abusive relationship, my intuition tells me that someday, someone may
> get shot.

Or common sense. Which is subject to a lot of cognitive biases. But
this is not an area devoid of scientific inquiry. Qualified
psychologists / psychiatrists could tell you the same andmuch more.
With higher statistical reliability.

> There are many more subtle character trends I think highly
> empathetic people can detect no matter what their field.
>
> > The thing with people like Kurtz, I suspect, is that
> > his predisposition to dismiss astrology (and other such
> > endeavors) has kept him from examining what *good*
> > astrology looks like.  In effect, at least partly, he's
> > dismissing a straw man.
>
> That wouldn't surprise me.  I think it is up to astrology to present a
> better case or show an interest in good studies.  The arrogance of the
> position that "we already know it is true so we don't have to prove it
> to you" is a problem in many fields, some claiming to be scientific.
> Paul may be placing the burden of proof on others to present claims in
> a way that is falsifiable.

Why should Paul accept astrology if no strong and valid studies have
been presented? I think the rational view is to be skeptical of
unsubstantiated claims and hypotheses, but not to reject them outright
until valid studies have indicated such. From what I have viewed, in
the domain of jyotish, there are no good studies rejecting the null
hypotheses, not any that fail to. Its an area good science has not
touched. Frankly, I am open to it -- from "subjective experience" --
but would never try to convince a Kurtz that it has value. To me it
has value, outside its predicitive ability (or lack there of). Like a
cross-word or other puzzle, it exercises the mind in odd and different
ways. Opening up new synapes.

> If they are not willing to present it in
> this manor then their sincerity is automatically questioned by many
> skeptics.

Of course. If one  wants scientific validation then let science
validate it in its proven ways. (The mistake of the TMO)

>  Some good therapist seem to blur the line with their use of
> intuition.  I think the trick is to make sure there is a test loop to
> verify those intuitions and strong feelings.  They might be a
> fantastic insight into the patient or they might be something else. I
> think good, experienced therapists have this down, and bad ones don't.

Astrology and jyotish present some interesting, untested, but testable
hypotheses. If a therapist uses such today as "given", he is a
charlatan. But he needs to conduct the rigorous testing and finds some
if any jyotish hypotheses hold up.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM