> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> <snip>
> It does interest me that Yogananda's book is a
> > fantastic example of how spiritual people use the appearance of
> > science when it suits them.  The New Testament does the same thing.
> > It appears to follow scientific standards and gives the impression of
> > a method, but it does not conform to the proper procedures.  It is a
> > great "proof" for people who do not understand or value a more
> > reliable application of the method.
>
> Just for the record, the scientific method didn't exist
> in biblical times.  They weren't trying to even appear
> to follow "scientific standards" because they hadn't
> been established yet and wouldn't be for many centuries.
> They were using the standards of their culture.
>
> It's one thing to point out that they used different
> standards that don't conform to modern ones; it's
> quite another to suggest that they were trying to
> make people think they were conforming to standards
> that nobody knew anything about, including the folks
> who wrote the Bible.

Good point, I am glad you got back to it.  The scientific method
evolved as a result from human's figuring out methods of procedures to
minimize errors.  The author's of the bible, and the people who chose
which authors to include in the bible, were using and ,I claim
manipulating, the standards of credibility of their era.  So Jesus
healing the sick gets in, but making a bird out of clay as a young boy
and it flying away did not.  Are you saying that they had no concept
of being credible back then?  I don't think they even clear the bar of
their own day's standards.  The sensory based evidence is
contradictory in the different gospels.  Even back then they
understood that problem didn't they?

But your point is well taken.  We have learned a lot since then about
standards of credibility and that standard should not be applied.
Have you seen the book Misquoting Jesus : The Story Behind Who Changed
the Bible and Why?

It lays out a pretty compelling case for my claim.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM