> on 6/21/06 7:03 AM, Vaj at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>

> >> The WIE has details provided by him and his people. Where's the
independent
> >> articles?
> >>
> One of Amma¹s senior swamis told me that SSRS made a big show of
doing a lot
> of tsunami disaster relief in Sri Lanka, but when Amma¹s crew got
there to
> do some actual work, officials complained to them that the SSRS
group had
> apparently just been seeking publicity, and hadn¹t actually done
anything.

I think selfless, simple, non-PR-focussed, group service projects by
any spriritually oriented group, are a great way to create
word-or-mouth and good buzz about a particular program.

Ironically, when I was more directly involved with AoL in the mid
90's, I used to recommend that -- instead of more direct promotion
that SSRS was suggesting at that paticualar time (paraphrasing "the
program is the highest need of the world today, thus promoting it is
the highest seva. Better to promote AoL as seva than other things").
That sounded SO familiar and was part of my distncing process from AoL
(Though I still think highly of SSRS as a teacher, mentor, friend and
presence.) I was quite tired of the TM proselytizing ethos in the TMO,
and particularly as a TM teacher.

And this mid-90's directive does not seem to be universal in AoL.
Since then, I have seen some community public AoL projects. And I know
of some who do a lot of good NGO work in thrid world countries under
auspiciouses of AoL -- but focus on the seva. And they have (had ..
not sure of current status) prison program, childrens programs in
India, etc.

So for AoL its a mixed bag. On a spectrum, perhaps the TMO is on one
end, Amma's group on the other, and AoL somewhere in the middle as far
as selfless community group projects. Though I would guess even Amma's
group is not perfect in this regard -- I have heard some PR-focus and
oddities there too.

So your comments about AoL's recent PR focuss don't surprise me.
Particularly given the trend I have viewed, from afar, in the past 10
years, that AoL has more and more "bliss-ninnies" aka mood-maker types
-- who are REALLY devoted to "this highest teaching" and "Best
Master", etc. Its about "the Big Thing I am involved in" and less the
practice and seva. In such an environment, the ends begin to justify
the means. PR trumps substance in seva projects. Its too bad.

The phenomenon occurs in mainstream religions. The catholic church,
and evangelicals, have done a lot of great seva type things. But often
with strong strings attached. It appears that PR/conversion-focussed
seva is a downer and often backfires -- regardless of the organization.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lik1AB/fOaOAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM