> Notice the dates on each of these press conferences, well  after
> the invasion.

<duh>

 Everybody knew the UN had been in Iraq looking for WMDs.  Also,
> everybody knew Saddam had expelled inspectors before and eventually
> let  them back in. Also obviously, everybody knew Bush pulled out
> the inspectors  before the hostilities began. So the context in
> which Bush was saying "they  wouldn't let inspectors in" was, they
> wouldn't let inspectors in unfettered to  do their jobs or without
> trying to interfere. The big complaint at the time was  the shell
> game Saddam was trying to play or give the appearance of   playing.
> So it is easy to call Bush a liar in this instance if you take his
> comments out of context.

The comments were not taken out of context.

Even Bush is smart enough to say "He wouldn't let the
inspectors do their jobs" instead of "He wouldn't let
the inspectors in" if that's what he wanted people to
understand.

And it wasn't just a slip of the tongue; he said it
*at least three times*, at formal White House press
conferences, no less.

It isn't just me and Joe Conason.  Even the Washington
Post remarked on Bush's misstatement:

"The president's assertion that the war began because Iraq did not
admit inspectors appeared to contradict the events leading up to war
this spring: Hussein had, in fact, admitted the inspectors and Bush
had opposed extending their work because he did not believe them
effective."

And again, according to Blix--the man who was there--
the inspectors were *not* having any trouble getting
access to the sites they wanted to see.  It was the
Bush administration that was trying to sabotage their
work, not Saddam.

Sorry, but you just can't spin Bush out of this one.