Whether the name/title 'Maharishi' was initially self-applied or not,
it most likely that it started with someone mishearing his name
(Mahesh) or someone using the term 'Mahashay' (Mahashay = adj.&n.mas.
magananimous, munificent, a term of respect, sir, master, mister.)
Certainly the signing of his own name as 'Mahsh' in the 1955
publication of 'Beacon Light of the Himalayas' seems to strengthen
the arguament that he had a hand in the change of name.

But whatever the reason he got to be known as 'Maharshi' the real
question is whether or not Maharishi Mahesh Yogi deserves this
name/title? Some definitely seem to think so. But it appears that
many do not see him as a 'great sage' and are troubled at having to
use the 'Maharishi' tag, so instead they call him 'Mahesh Yogi'. But
this form of address also presents another problem, there are those
who question his right to be called a 'yogi' (a practioner or adept
of yoga), so they refer to him simply as 'Mahesh'.

Incidentally, on the topic of name/title who can remember when/by
whom/&why the name 'Brenda' was coined?

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "peterklutz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>