<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I don't think you are giving the hopelessness and impotence
> > the 'credit' it deserves when spawning terrorism. It is not the
> > hopelessness and powerlessness borne of individual
circumstances, or
> > a run of bad luck, such as most of us in the wealthy and
powerful US
> > might imagine.
>

> Hey Jim,
>
> But I thought that the 9-11 guys were anything but hopeless.  They
> were educated guys.  They could have followed many others who have
> gone to other countries and supported the tech boom.  I worked at a
> company with a bunch of Syrian programmers.  Things were tough at
home
> so they came here and made great money, which they often sent home
> help their families.  One of the scariest problems with suicidal
> terrorists is that we can't just chalk it up to lack of
opportunity.

Hi Curtis,

Kind of a special case with the 9-11 guys, since they were from
Saudi Arabia and educated. I don't want to get into their heads that
much, but I think the sense of being powerless played into their
decision, in addition to the ringleader being basically a hateful
person.

My point in talking about this is that we tend to ascribe fantastic
motives to our enemies, sort of a refinement to calling them names;
gooks, nips, krauts, and ragheads to name a few. This helps further
the conflict because we are no longer fighting human being like us.
Instead they are 'extremists' wanting to 'destroy us because of our
freedom'.

I am not saying they are rational beings that just need a good hug
to straighten them out. Far from it, though it doesn't make them
monsters or some sort of incomprehensible violence freaks either.

People are all, whether we like it or not, basically the same. All
hard wired to respond the same way to the same stuff. A little bit
of reflection and it is easy enough to see how this current
terrorist phenomenon came about.