I seem to recall being mentioned during my siddhis course
that one "purpose" of Sun, Moon and Polar Star (suurya,
candra, dhruva) is to be of help in "navigation" during Flying.
Be it as it may, both Vyaasa and Bhojadeva mention "rays"
in their comments on YF-suutra. The relevant passage in
YS-bhaashya goes like this, I believe:

tatas tuurNanaabhitantumaatre vihRtya rashmiSu viharati
(tataH; tu; uurNa-naabhi-tantu-maatre...)

My attempt at translation:

But then (after having been able to walk on water) having
walked on a mere warp(?) of a spider's web he moves on
in (on?) rays (rashmi_Su: locative plural of "rashmi").

Bhojadeva:

[...] aadityarashmibhishca viharanyatheSTam aakaashena gacchati.
(aaditya-rashmibhiH; ca; viharan; yathaa; iSTam...)

... moving (viharan) with the rays of sun
 ([aaditya]-rashmi_bhiH: instrumental plural of "rashmi" )
he goes (gacchati) by(?) aakaasha (aakaashena: instrumental
singular of "aakaasha") as (yathaa) "he wishes" (iSTam).