> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >
> > I saw "Lady in the Water" which is M. Night Shyamalan's
> > latest film yesterday afternoon.
>
> Thanks for the update. I'll see it when it gets here.
> I like his films. They require a greater suspension
> of disbelief than some, but if you can move yourself
> into that innocent space where you can watch the
> film with no preconceptions and no comparisons to
> other films, they are often a remarkable ride. I
> even liked The Village.

Uh oh.

I'll probably see it anyway, but it inspired
Roger Ebert to write one of his rare scathing
reviews. Here's a taste:

I See Wet People

The key to deciphering M. Night Shyamalan's fractured
fairy tale, "The Lady in the Water," is to remember
that it is rooted in the ancient mythology of Stephen
Colbert and "The Colbert Report." It is a warning to
Mankind about the dire threat posed by ferocious
topiary bears in America today, and a salute to the
gigantic, soaring eagle who swoops in to rescue Wet
Ladies from pitiless ursine jaws and claws. Colbert
oughtta sue.

As a bonus, there's a naked water nymph and some
angry tree monkeys with mohawks... You think I'm
making this up? No, but I wonder why Shyamalan felt
he needed to, given the half-hearted way he's presented
his sodden fairy tale in this movie.

Maybe the children's book is better at stimulating
the imagination. Shyamalan says "The Lady in the Water"
grew out of a bedtime story he made up and continued
improvising and embellishing for his daughters, and
that's precisely the way it feels: improvised and
protracted, nonsensically and unnecessarily, just
for the sake of stringing us along. And, maybe,
putting us to sleep.

But then, who am I to knock the work of the man who,
in his own film, casts himself as a writer whose ideas
will inspire a future leader who will save the world
-- an artist whose work will not be fully understood
in his own time, but only many years later, and who
is willing to sacrifice his own life for the sake of
all Mankind? For he so loved the world that he gave
his only narf...

Sounds as if this one is going to take a lot
more suspension of disbelief than the others...  :-)