--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I sympathise with Vaj on this issue.
>
> There is something kinda creepy & oppressive about having to call
> someone a 'Maharishi' if one doesn't think he is one, or 'His
> Holiness', or even 'Yogi' (remember that MMY had to get someone
> else to put together the simple yogasana exercises that were
> introduced back in the mid-sixties).

Um, "Yogi" doesn't refer just to one who is accomplished
at yoga asanas.

 So one is left either to use the generally
> accepted 'The Maharishi' (regardless of why this term came to be
> used by the press back in the sixties).

(Actually it would have been back in the '50s, at least
in India.)

Or one could bite the bullet and just use the term
"Maharishi" (no "the," of course) as a proper name,
since that's how his followers refer to and address
him informally and how he is widely known.

I mean, unless one wants to show deliberate disrespect,
of course.

<snip>
> Personally, I think MMY created the problem himself when he
> appropriated such a grand sounding name. It was suggested that the
> probably reason he did this was;'the name Maharishi is something to
> replace "Swami," because in India things are such that if the
> name "Swami" is missing, then people would suspect something is
> wrong.' - Osho World Online Magazine, June 2004 (towards the end of
> section #48 of:-
> http://www.oshoworld.com/onlinemag/june2004/htm/glimpses.asp

Ah, yes, good old Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh.

("Bhagwan," I believe, is a word for "God.")

Here's the context of that remark:

----
A sudra can be a yogi, and the name Maharishi is something to
replace "Swami," because in India things are such that if the
name "Swami" is missing, then people would suspect something is
wrong. You have to put something else there just to cover up the gap.
He invented "Maharishi." He is not even a rishi; rishi means "seer,"
and maharishi means "great seer." He can't even see beyond his nose.
All he can do when you ask him relevant questions is giggle. In fact,
I will call him "Swami Gigglananda," that will fit him perfectly.
That giggling is not something respectable, it is really a strategy
to avoid questions. He cannot answer any question.
----

Based on the accuracy, objectivity, and insight
demonstrated by those last sentences, we can certainly
assume the rest of Osho's comments are right on target,
can't we?