<snip>
> ...and of that 4% difference you note above, I suspect alot of them
> are Russians who emigrated to Israel because of their
> Jewish "roots" but are practising Christians.

Don't know about that, but I do know that after the
Soviet Union fell, there was a major effort by
evangelical Christians to convert Jews who emigrated
to Israel.  They had not been able to study and
practice Judaism in Russia for so long that they
were ignorant of the faith of their heritage and
thus were easy pickings for conversion.

I think the most loathesome phrase I've ever heard
is how some fundie Christians refer to converts
from Judaism: "Completed Jews."

Faugh.