> In a message dated 7/26/06 6:03:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> I'm  wrong on this, BTW. Jews who deliberately and
> openly convert to a different  religion are *not*
> considered Jewish by the Right of Return.
>
> >  And who converts to Judaism except to marry a Jew? Probably
> > very  few.
>
> You'd be surprised, I think. I can't find statistics
> at the  moment, but I'll try to look for some later.
>
> I had always heard to be considered  a Jew one's mother had to be
> a  Jew, not sure of the details on this because some people do
> convert.

No, that's correct.  Not sure what it has to do with
who converts, though.

> However,  Judaism doesn't seek out converts.

No, it doesn't, and conversion is typically a fairly
rigorous process that one doesn't take lightly.
Except perhaps in some of the more liberal Reform
temples, they try to talk you out of it.  You really
have to *want* to convert before they'll take you on.

The thing is that Judaism *appeals* to many people.
The more I've learned about it, the more highly
I respect it; I've seriously considered converting,
and I may yet do so.