> To be fair, I should add that Cheney himself had
> publicly mentioned more than once that Mary was
> gay.  And she was on his campaign staff, one of
> his most trusted aides, according to him.  He is
> on record as favoring leaving decisions about gay
> marriage to the states, as opposed to the Bush
> policy of a constitutional amendment forbidding it.
>
> He isn't exactly an activist, but he's obviously
> not a homophobe or a hypocrite on that issue--
> except in the general sense that he supports a
> party that does not support gay rights and that
> tends to be very homophobic.

Posted 8/24/2004

Cheney says he opposes marriage amendment

By Susan Page, USA TODAY

Vice President Cheney broke with President Bush on Tuesday on the
question of same-sex marriage, saying he believes the issue should be
left to the states. "Freedom means freedom for everyone," he said at
a campaign rally in Davenport, Iowa.
"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very
familiar with," Cheney said as his daughter Mary stood in the
audience. He said he opposes the constitutional amendment to ban same-
sex marriage that Bush has endorsed.

"But the president makes basic policy for the administration," he
added.

Cheney's comments were remarkable on several fronts. He acknowledged
his daughter's homosexuality in a more direct way than ever before.
While he said in the vice presidential debate in 2000 that the issue
of gay marriage should be left to the states, he had not publicly
reiterated that view since Bush's decision in February to embrace a
federal constitutional ban.

In fact, administration observers were hard-pressed to think of any
other issue on which Cheney has publicly disagreed with Bush after a
decision had been made.

Read more at:
http://tinyurl.com/3marq