(http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm)   Is he
> "acting", out of fear for his career, or  sincere?

Who can say?  He certainly has good reason to fear
for his career, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility
that he genuinely wants to be a decent human being.

I was impressed by this:

"I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came
from during that drunken display."

Actually, it doesn't seem like it would be very
difficult to understand where they came from; anybody
who has ever read anything about his father has a
really good idea where they came from.  But maybe
Mel hasn't been able to confront that until now.

So far, he's been unwilling to say anything against
his father's views.  I'd think he has to get to the
point where he can *both* love his father *and*
vehemently disagree with him publicly before he can
really heal himself.  Whether that will also heal
his career is another question.