> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> > >
> > > _DRUDGE REPORT FLASH  2006®_
> > (http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm)   Is he
> > > "acting", out of fear for his career, or  sincere?
> >
> > Who can say?  He certainly has good reason to fear
> > for his career, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility
> > that he genuinely wants to be a decent human being.
> >
> > I was impressed by this:
> >
> > "I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words
> came
> > from during that drunken display."
> >
> > Actually, it doesn't seem like it would be very
> > difficult to understand where they came from; anybody
> > who has ever read anything about his father has a
> > really good idea where they came from.  But maybe
> > Mel hasn't been able to confront that until now.
> >
> > So far, he's been unwilling to say anything against
> > his father's views.  I'd think he has to get to the
> > point where he can *both* love his father *and*
> > vehemently disagree with him publicly before he can
> > really heal himself.  Whether that will also heal
> > his career is another question.
>
> Richard Donner, a Jew, made five blockbusters with Gibson.  I would
> be curious to know what his reactions to all this is.
>
> If Gibson is the virulent anti-semite he appears to be, it must
> have been difficult for him to work all those thousands of hours
> with Jews.  Similarly, it would have been excruciating for the Jews.

FWIW, I don't recall hearing any stories about
him showing overt anti-Semitism.  "The Passion of
the Christ" did raise some questions, but he was
always vehement about not being anti-Semitic.

So if he is anti-Semitic when he's sober, it
would appear he hides it pretty well.

> Hopefully, Gibson, in his heart, isn't the ant-semite his words
> portray him to be and he will heal.

I really do think Peter and the site you quoted
from have it right: his conscious, thinking,
reasoning self isn't anti-Semitic, but underneath
that there's a part of him that is, and it comes
out, or came out this time, when he's drunk and
it's not fully under his control.

> But he did the right thing with this most recent press release.
> Total and apparently unconditional apology, remorse and a reaching
> out for help to the very community he insulted.

But because he's such a public person, and his career
depends on others' approval, there's always going to
be a question, as MDixon suggested, about whether he
is truly repentant or just afraid he's going to become
a pariah if he doesn't *appear* to be repentant.

*If* he really wants to be a decent person and live
up to his Christian ideals, his father's anti-
Semitism must be a horrible conflict for him.  He
seems not to be able to cross his father; maybe
he's afraid his father won't love him any more if
he does.  Not a good place to be in.

Here's my amateur psychoanalysis: What came out
when he was drunk is his anger at himself for not
being able to say publicly that his father is wrong.
It's anger at his father as well for putting him in
that bind, and anger at himself for being angry with
his father--all very convoluted and intractable.

So his psyche simply made him come out with the
anti-Semitic tirade in order to get it all out in
the open where he'd be forced to deal with it once
and for all.