--- authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@
> wrote:
> > >

> > > In a message dated 8/1/06 12:50:58 P.M. Central
> Daylight Time,
> > > jstein@ writes:
> > >
> > > *If* he  really wants to be a decent person and
> live
> > > up to his Christian ideals, his  father's anti-
> > > Semitism must be a horrible conflict for him. He
>
> > > seems  not to be able to cross his father; maybe
>
> > > he's afraid his father won't  love him any more
> if
> > > he does. Not a good place to be  in.
> > >
> > > He may believe in the biblical teaching that one
> doesn't betray
> or
> > > disrespect ones authority figures, no matter how
> wrong the may be
> > > because God gave them authority over you.
> >
> > On the other hand, he has said that his father has
> > "never lied to him."
> >
> > It's a good point, though, that he may actually
> have
> > a religious conflict, but I'd suggest that's in
> > addition to an emotional conflict about publicly
> > disagreeing with his father.
> >
> > As a public figure himself who made a
> controversial
> > movie about Jesus Christ, he can't just keep
> entirely
> > silent.  He's going to be asked about it over and
> > over, and whatever he says is going to be given
> wide
> > publicity.  So he really is between a rock and a
> hard
> > place.  He can't publicly *agree OR disagree* with
> > his father.
> >
> > No wonder he drinks...
>
> Hmm.  Now I'm wondering whether the idea of making
> the movie about Christ was part of this prompting I
> suggested he's getting from his psyche to get the
> conflict with his father out in the open and deal
> with it.
>
> That didn't work, so the next thing was for him to
> have a drunken meltdown in which he more or less
> channeled his father.
>
> Gibson was very good, by the way, in the movie
> "Hamlet," which he directed and starred in.
> "Hamlet" is very much about father conflicts.
>
> Does "Braveheart" have anything about fathers
> in it?  I never saw it.
>
> I did see "Patriots" (and wished I hadn't--it was
> dreadful).  Can't recall whether there was father
> stuff in that--he *plays* a father, but I'm not
> sure there was anything in it that resonated with
> the current situation.

A psychoanalytic look at Mel's movies easily reveals
an unresolved Oedipal conflict. In most of his movies
he plays a charming, rebellious, under-valued,
adolescent-like character always bucking the
established authority and at time betrayed by it:
Brave Heart. In a sense Mel is still a boy because of
the narcissitic domination of his father, who from all
accounts, is a real bastard. A stiff, unloving father
who is in unconscious competition with his son can
never truly value and love his son and psychologically
support his transition into adulthood and becoming a
man. Mel has the classic Oedipal, love/hate
relationship with a narcissistic father that produces
a man-boy who is desparately seeking his father's
witheld approval and simultaneously raging against his
father's unacceptance of him. No wonder he
self-medicates with booze. Mel's a bit of a mess!
-Dr. Freud at the Movies