> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <groups@> wrote:

> > might

> did to
> > french
> > > >
> > > Did Mitterrand claim to be a life celibate, in large part base
> his
> > > reputation on that claim, and convince hundreds of his followers
> > > to adopt that lifestyle?
> >
> > I'd still be interested to see documentation of
> > MMY having made this claim explicitly.
> >
> > I'm not at all sure where you get the idea that his
> > reputation was based on large part on a claim to be a
> > life celibate.  In what way was it based on this
> > claim?  I never was led to believe it was anything
> > but incidental.
> >
> > I don't recall the point ever having been mentioned
> > by TM teachers unless somebody asked whether MMY was
> > celibate.  And the response was always followed by
> > what was said to be MMY's insistence that celibacy was
> > a calling, not a discipline to be followed for its own
> > sake, especially not if it ran contrary to one's
> > inclinations.  A big deal was never made of it.
>
> Agreed. But to gain enlightenment is faster if you are a celibate,
> and that is why Maharishi gently suggested it is good idea not to
> have sex, " to make an agreement with the body".
> At least for a period of time. Once CC is reached I'm not sure
> whether it is necessary.

Again, it was always stressed, in my experience, that
celibacy was a *calling*, not a discipline.  "Agreement
with the body" actually conveys that idea: if your body
wants to have sex, no such agreement can be made.

I don't mean to suggest that celibacy might not
facilitate enlightenment, at least on certain paths;
but I strongly suspect fighting with your body to
stay celibate for that purpose is actually
counterproductive to enlightenment.

It always sounded to me more like, If you can
comfortably take or leave sex, leaving it is an
advantage when you're pursuing enlightenment; you
don't have to indulge in sex just because it's
considered "normal."