Mmmmm, tried to make contact with the so-called 'girlfriends' to hear
their stories, but not a thing, not even in 'confidence'.

I think the reason people believe these tales is because they want to!
Possibly because they want to experience all the emotions connected to
the idea, but essentially to bring MMY to a level they can understand
more easily. It somehow makes it that much easier to get a hold on him,
so to speak, doesn't it?

Personally, I suspect that if he has 'dirty' secrets, they are unlikely
to be of a sexual nature. In a sense perhaps these allegations only
serve to distract.