> In a message dated 8/9/06 11:03:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Do you  wish nobody ever gave their life for your country?
> >
> I can't speak  for the past. For the present, Yes, absolutely Yes,
> wish this foolish  and insane idea of giving one's life for one's
> country was not seen as  valid.
>

> Speaking for the past is very important. We learn from our past or
we are
> doomed to repeat it as the old saying goes. I think everybody
would like to see
> the idea of giving one's life for his country as being foolish and
> unnecessary,  but at this time in man's evolution it just hasn't
gotten there yet. As
> long as  people value political, economic, and religious freedom
and there are
> people that are absolutely hell bent on denying your freedoms that
you
> cherish,  it will be necessary for some to lay their lives down
for their society and
>  their society owes them  a very great debt of  gratitude.

I can't remember where I read this -- "A hermit in the house"? --
but when in I think it was the '60s, a was broke out between India
and China, MMY returned to India.  The explanation in the book was
something to the effect: I don't know what a monk could do in a time
of war but I felt it my obligation to return to my homeland.

Now, that isn't a pledge "to die for my country" but it certainly
does signal a willingness to enter into an area of danger for no
other rationale reason than love of country, sacrifice and
duty...characteristics not too far away from "to die for my country".