Like many aspects of the TM movement beliefs, the 1% claims are
carefully worded so they are un-falsifiable.  This is a common trick
with groups making absurd claims.  Because they are choosing what to
pay attention to in huge amounts of sociological data, they can make
it seem like either "something good is happening" or "something is
purifying in the environment".  On a smaller scale this is played out
with the claim that TM makes you feel better in every way, unless it
doesn't, which is termed unstressing.  They are only fooling
themselves with this transparent tactic.

Fairfield people are nice, ordinary folks with all the same social
problems common to their age demographic.  Nothing special after
decades of devotion to this practice.  The same mix of idiots and
geniuses you find everywhere else.  They aren't better in any way, but
I don't think they are worse either.  Just an odd belief system in a
group of mostly optimistic people.  I think you would have to look
long and hard to find another one as whacked as your ex seemed to be.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Bill (William)Simmons"