[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In a message dated 8/19/06 6:58:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>So, you  think that a substantial number of Americans would respond in the
>negative to
>this question?
>
>Does the President have the right to conduct  wiretaps in the war on terror
>as long as he
>follows the constitutionally  valid laws and procedures set by Congress?
>
>Yes, no, not  sure.
>
>What about to THIS question?
>
>SHOULD the President conduct  wiretaps in pursuit of the War on Terror as
>long as he
>follows the  constitutionally valid laws and procedures set by Congress?
>
>Yes, no,  not sure.
>

>Presidents always have to follow the law. However the question is, is there
>any wiggle room in that law under extraordinary circumstances such as war. The
> presidential legal teams think there is. Remember Lincoln suspended Habius
>corpus, shut down the Maryland legislature and restricted free speech to some
>degree. FDR had people's mail censored and detained Japanese in internment
>camps. LBJ had mail censored coming from troops in Vietnam. And I'm certain
>there are many more examples of powers that presidents have been able to enact
>
>in times of war for national security.

Lincoln was actually not as popular as the grade school history books
like to make out.  The Japanese interments are still considered a bit
over the top.  So was Wilson's ridiculous "Sedition Act of 1918."  One
guy got carted off to jail as he was turned in by his daughter for
criticizing Wilson.  Now that is fascism plain and simple.   Fortunately
Congress got rid of that law and the Espionage Act of 1917 after the
war.  Some of the silliness of this administration remind me of these
ridiculous laws.

I don't think many of us here are into conformism and also *always*
question authority.