--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- MDixon wrote:
> >
> > Presidents always have to follow the law. However the question
is, is there
> > any wiggle room in that law under extraordinary circumstances
such as war. The
> >  presidential legal teams think there is. Remember Lincoln
suspended Habius
> > corpus, shut down the Maryland legislature and restricted free
speech to some
> > degree. FDR had people's mail censored and detained Japanese in
internment
> > camps. LBJ had mail censored coming from troops in Vietnam. And
I'm certain
> > there are many more examples of powers that presidents have been
able to enact
> > in times of war for national security.
>
> MD, you recount these extreme measures by past presidents
> as if they were all justified. I'm not ready to assume they
> were. For example, I've encountered many citations of
> Lincoln suspending writs of habeas corpus, but not one
> citation has ever said, "And history proves he was
> correct to do so." Same with FDR's internment of
> Japanese Americans.
>
> If history teaches me anything from the above
> examples, it's that presidents take reprehensible
> actions under stress.

Nixon did a whole lot of warrantless wiretapping,
so it should be OK for Bush to do it too, right?

Er, no.  That's why the FISA Act was passed in 1978,
to KEEP presidents from doing warrantless
wiretapping, to ensure they had no reason to say,
Well, gee, it was terribly urgent and a matter of
national security, and we just couldn't wait to
get a warrant...