<snip>
> Remember when we had Osama's telephone
> number? Actually we knew he was using a satellite phone  and we
> could  easily listen in on his conversations. The New York times blew
> that for us by  printing the story. What did Osama do? Through away
> the phone and learned not to  use it or any other phones. The New
> York Times , Al Qaeda's counter intelligence program.

Oh, this is too rich.  What a great example of Republican
lies!

First of all, it was the right-wing Washington Times,
not the New York Times, that published the 1998 story
about bin Laden communicating by satellite phone.  That
was the "leak" the administration railed against.

(Actually it was in several papers at almost the same
time, but the administration chose to point the finger
at the Washington Times.)

The Washington Times story, however, did not say
anything about the U.S. having his satellite phone
number; and the reporter pointed out that the
information that he used a satellite phone was already
in the public domain.  It had been reported in 1996,
and the source for that story was none other than the
Taliban.

For the 1998 story, the source was bin Laden himself,
bragging about how he had foiled the U.S. by giving
his cell phone to an aide so the U.S. would track the
aide rather than himself.

The 1998 report that the U.S. had his satellite phone
number, moreover, did not appear until *after* he had
stopped using the phone.

In other words: what MDixon claims above is completely
false.  He's repeated the administration's lies and
added one of his own, that it was the New York Times
that published the (nonexistent) "leak."

For more, see this 2005 report in the Washington
Post:

http://tinyurl.com/bdmwf