> --- jyouells2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >    Maybe  Maharishi isn't fully convinced about the
> > physiological
> > correlates either. Otherwise he would get wired up
> > and provide a
> > baseline to speed up the research.
>
> Physiological correlates would only relate to
> conditions of the mind. And there are many, many
> conditions of the mind from gross to very, very
> subtle.  But I don't know if any "physiological
> correlate" of Realization will ever be established.
> Consciousness is "outside" of time and space. The mind
> can not quantify it; measure it. From the perspective
> of the mind, pure consciousness is absolutely nothing;
> emptiness; death; annihilation. Perhaps the best that
> could be done would be the impact on brain function of
> that Realization. But would there be a common EEG
> signature for all brains? I don't know. Right now I
> doubt it. It would be interesting to take MMY, Amma
> and SSRS and look at the similarities and
> disimilarities of their brain functioning. I'm curious
> what Fred Travis has come up with correlating specific
> enlightenment experiences with EEG function on the TM
> path (because I'm sure it would vary depending upon
> the path/techniques).

Missed my whole thalamus spiel, eh? The EEG comes from the state of
consciousness, not
the other way around. With samadhi, the brain is left alert, but no longer
processing
sensory data, external or even internal. That leads to a "restful-alert"
[alpha wave]
coherent EEG signature in cerain parts of the brain. If you could somehow
induce the same
EEG signature, you might not have the same state of consciousness.