<snip>
> > > I remain unconvinced that Carter is a good counter-example.
> > > He's a pacifist, but he's still intolerant.
> >
> > Well, he's not a pacifist by any stretch of the
> > imagination.
> >
> > And what exactly do you believe he's intolerant
> > *of*?
>
> TM, alcohol in the White House, anything that offends his
> religious sensibilities that he has direct control of.

Like most of us, I would imagine.

He's also intolerant of a lot of things he has no
direct control of, such as racial, religious, and
gender discrimination, discrimination against gays
and lesbians, human rights violations of all kinds,
blurring the line between church and state, not
taking care of the poor, etc., etc.

Frankly, I don't mind a bit of intolerance on his
part about things I'm tolerant of, as long as he's
intolerant about the kinds of things I listed above.

I'd be really interested to hear why he was so
intolerant of TM.  My *guess* is that he was
convinced MMY was pushing Hinduism in disguise,
and that what he didn't like was the perceived
deception.  If MMY had openly promoted Hinduism,
I doubt he'd have objected.  Certainly there were
plenty of others promoting it that didn't draw
his wrath.

As I said, he does have his blind spots, and this
was one of the worse ones.  But he got such high
marks in so many other areas, I'm willing to
forgive him for it.